harris happenings...

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Our Big Find... and Broyden's New Bed!

So, I hesitate to write this next post for fear of what thoughts might ravage the mind of my readers, but I figure you can look at it two ways. On the one hand, the Harris' are out of their minds! Or on the other hand, the Harris' are so resourceful! Way to recycle! Anyways, here's the story. Late one Sunday night in December, we decided to load up the kids in the van and take a ride around the neighborhood to see all the beautiful Christmas lights. We were all in our pajamas. We were surprised at how many people had participated in the festivities this year. Well, in our neighborhood, garbage day just happens to be Monday morning, so late Sunday evening many people are putting out their garbage cans for the next day. So, we are driving slowly by a house and what do I see? A toddler bed on the side of the road next to a garbage can, just waiting to be picked up by the garbage man the next day! I pointed it out to Aaron and said how I had been thinking that we ought to get Broyden a toddler bed soon. We looked at each other for a minute, then quickly jumped out, opened the back of the van, and threw the bed in! It didn't quite fit so we had to drive with the trunk open for awhile, but we got the bed home safe and sound. It really isn't in too bad of shape! A little scratched up and the screws are loose (no jumping on the bed!), but it actually cleaned up pretty nicely. Broyden was so excited at first, but when it was actually time to sleep in his bed for the first night, he was scared to death! He wanted me to lay next to him on the floor and hold his hand. I didn't dare lay on the actual bed because it is a little wobbly, but he did finally fall asleep. I did not have a guard rail so he rolled off several times during the night. Finally, after the 5th or 6th time, he begged me to stay with him. I piled up some pillows, got a blanket, and spent the night on the floor next to him. I woke up a few times with him on my head but I was able to just push him back up on his bed. Now, he has a railing that keeps him safe and sound. He does get up a little too early and has the bad habit of coming in to our room in hopes of hopping into bed with us, but overall he does pretty good in his garbage toddler bed! (And yes, I know the blanket is a little "girlie". I'm working on getting something more masculine!)

No comments: